Most technology in education is not built for the modern learning experience. It’s complex, unpredictable and no two classes are ever the same. Teachers waste time on non-teaching activities and they find it difficult to collaborate with other teachers. At Firefly, we’re freeing teachers to have a greater impact on the learning experience. Firefly allows teachers to innovate and cater to each student’s needs, preparing all students for success in the future.
How you can help
We already have a rich legacy, we’ve won loads of awards and have earned a reputation as the easiest to use school learning tool. But we have even greater ambitions to help every student reach their full potential. We’re looking for a Senior Front End developer, this will be
a challenging role with plenty of scope to have a big impact on our technology. We’re updating our Front-end technical stack with new features being built in React, Redux and Redux-Thunk using ES6 + Babel; Jest for testing and Axe-Core for accessibility testing. The team is in the process of standardising the styling approach to Emotion-JS, as experience has shown it to be a superior solution.
We’re re-writing our Markbook application which provides visibility on feedback for assignments to students and parents and our Annotation tool which allows teachers to directly comment on work submitted. We have planned to modularise a good part of our application into independent NPM packages and want you to be part of that journey.
Tech-wise, Firefly runs primarily on .NET as well as iOS, Java and Kotlin for our mobile apps. Web projects are typically built with Web API and React with Redux, as well as a recent focus on improving our testing by increasing automation and implementing better processes. Driving towards a multi-tenant system with a more modern architecture is part of Firefly's future.
Our engineering teams are organised into two squads and each squad is organised around a product. These squads are formed from a mix of developers, testers and designers, who work alongside a Product Manager and Squad Lead to build feature requests. Following a highly collaborative process you will actively participate in sprint planning, regular stand-ups, code pairing and code reviews.
We want to work with someone who:
- Has previously held the position of Front-end developer or Senior Front End Developer, with a background in creating Single Page Applications using any framework, be it React, Angular, Vue or similar.
- Given your experience at a Senior level, you will influence technical decision making around best practices and tooling.
- Collaborating with other developers, you will focus on building single page applications, spending the vast majority of your time working on new features using the React framework, maintaining and enhancing existing ones and writing unit / integration / functional tests for the code written.
- You'll practice pairing over tricky problems, knowledge sharing and performing code reviews. If you haven't done much pairing up until now, you must at least be excited/interested in the idea of doing so and understand how it works and the benefits it can bring.
- The same is true for Agile. Whilst we don’t mind what flavours you’ve used in the past, you should come from an Agile background and understand the benefits that it provides. We’d love to discuss what worked best in a prior role, including the ceremonies or processes you found most (or least) useful.
- Finally, but importantly, you'll be an open, enthusiastic team member. You'll take on feedback, understand that trade-offs are necessary when differing opinions occur and being able to resolve conflict without resentment. You will be able to provide examples of working cohesively with others for the benefit of the product or wider team.
In return, you will benefit from
- Being part of a growing and thriving technology team
- Being able to grow and develop as an expert in your domain.
- Having a real impact on the lives of teachers and students.
You have proven experience in the following
- React, Redux
- HTML5, HTML5 semantics
- CSS3 and CSS precompilers
- Webpack, Gulp
- Npm or Yarn
- Git, Github
- Development of cross-browser applications
- And advantageous if you know of accessibility patterns and best practices.
Day to day
- The majority of work, at least early on, will be assisting the team to deliver new features in React + Redux, migrating legacy codebase to the modernised structure.
- In addition, we’re also supporting our backend team in migrating from XSLT to WebAPI, upgrading older components.
- Depending on the project, you'll sit in one of our two engineering squads, working with a Product Manager and designer to plan features that will be built out into User Stories with acceptance criteria and prioritisations.
- Our aim is to create a highly collaborative process, empowering the squads to drive the product forward whilst ensuring user expectations and requirements are met, in turn ensuring that every team member continues to develop themselves at a good pace.
- That means you will actively participate in sprint planning, regular stand-ups, code pairing and code reviews, whilst supporting other squad members and accepting support yourself.
You’ll be joining the Technology team as a Senior Front End Developer. We are respected across the whole company for our expertise and commitment to providing the best experience for our users. We work closely with the Product team and Design team, so we continually have the opportunity to guide and shape the direction of the product.
We aim to learn at every opportunity. We receive an annual training budget and use this to attend conferences, workshops, take online courses and have shelves full of books in our workspaces. Our people are key to us and we are committed to your development both technically and professionally.
We like to hang out together too–we go for dinner together regularly and do all sorts of activities with the wider Firefly team. Firefly is a fun and rewarding place to work, our employee benefits include: Bupa health insurance (50% premium contribution), cycle-to-work scheme, travel loans, gym discounts, enhanced parental leave, 4% pension contributions, and 25 days holiday (exclusive of bank holidays) plus 3 additional days for Christmas shutdown! Please see our careers page for a full list of employee benefits.