Mid Android Developer
Firefly Learning is an award-winning EdTech company that brings teachers, students and parents together. We aim to supercharge the school experience, so every student can reach their full potential. We’re used by hundreds of leading schools globally, and have offices in the UK and Sydney. We are currently growing our team.
Firefly has two Android apps built from a single codebase, Firefly for Students and Firefly for Parents. They are available to hundreds of thousands of students and their parents, enhancing their learning experience by allowing them to view learning resources, submit assignments, receive feedback and communicate with their teachers.
Our apps were initially developed in Java, then refactored using modern standards and integrated into our CI and delivery system. The code is now primarily Kotlin but some Java still remains.
You will work in a cross functional team to understand user needs, build new features and refining existing ones. You’ll work collaboratively with Design, Product and QA and report to our Mobile Chapter Lead. You will work in an agile manner with frequent deploys to get functionality into users’ hands.
You will have the drive and passion to learn the codebase and maintain a clean, well structured architecture. You will be a good technical communicator who enjoys pair programing.
- Manage and maintain the Android codebase as initially the sole Android developer.
- Develop new features, extend and improve the existing codebase, participate in design sessions and fix bugs.
- Actively participate and contribute to the agile ceremonies and team activities.
- Plan and maintain the overall architecture
- Write high quality code with appropriate use of design patterns
- Maintenance of the networking layer
- Work closely with our designers to produce an accurate user interface
- Create automated tests as required
- Mentor existing and new staff and help with code reviews
- Keep up to date with advances in Android technology
- Demonstrable experience in Kotlin and Java
- Full understanding of the Android application lifecycle
- Understanding and experience in network communication and data synchronisation
- Appreciation of Android-specific asynchronous processing techniques
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong OO design skills
- Agile principles
- Keen to learn new technologies and not afraid of working with web code from time to time
- Swift/Objective C experience
- Scripting and task automation (automated builds, deployment, CI, Jenkins)
- Personal apps on the Play Store
- Experience with Github
- 25 days holiday (plus 3 additional days over Christmas)
- £1000 training budget per year
- Discounted gym
- Childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee option scheme