Firefly Learning is an award-winning EdTech company, used by hundreds of leading schools around the world and recognised by Tech Nation’s Future Fifty programme as one of the most exciting growing tech companies in the UK.
We are venture backed, having raised £5m from BGF Ventures, Beringea and Downing and are ambitious about supercharging the school experience for as many students as possible around the world.
We enable teachers, students and parents to learn more together, giving teachers more time to focus on what matters most - teaching - and letting students learn in ways that work best for them. All while helping parents to understand much better what’s going on at school and how they can support their child.
Data Analytics is a new exciting initiative within Firefly to help both us and our clients make informed decisions. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Data Analyst to start fresh and transform our data into meaningful insights. You will be the primary data analyst at Firefly, nurturing and developing a data-driven culture using both your technical and communication skills to help grow the cultural importance of good-quality data.
The Data Analyst role sits within the Operations team, reporting to the Head of Operations. Working closely with our managers and our with our Product, Development and Design squads there is broad exposure to our business and excellent room to create value.
You will have an important part to play in evolving our current data warehouse; centralising the wealth of data from various data sources, normalising and analysing them to produce insights for a variety of applications. You will be expected to develop a comprehensive understanding of Firefly data structures and business metrics, advocating for changes where needed for both product development and business strategy and key projects.
This role plays a key part in helping translate user behaviour into trackable and actionable metrics, building segmentations, cohorts & dashboards, generating reports and presenting insights. This may range from ad-hoc small queries through to major analysis projects, or the provision of regular analytics/reporting.
From both a Firefly business and a Firefly Product perspective:
- Manage and develop our current data sources ensuring they remain appropriate and accurate through regular data cleansing
- Advocate and advise on changes needed to support ongoing data collection
- Undertake behaviour/usage analysis to inform product and development decisions, communicating progress, risks and issues in a clear, transparent manner
- Build and manage dashboards to visualise this data
- Generate reports and presentations to provide valuable insights that help drive informed decisions
Skills / requirements:
- 3+ years experience as an analyst in a software development environment
- Knowledge of SQL, R, Tableau and Advanced Excel
- Critical thinking and attention to detail are a must
- Applicants will have proven oral and written communication skills and experience of communicating with people from multiple disciplines.
- Self-motivated, proactive and able to work effectively in a group
- Willingness to work in an immature data environment (a lot of unstructured data). Experience of analysing large and complex data and transforming that into business-friendly language
- Must be comfortable using third-party sources of information and be able to verify, process and format that data as necessary
- A demonstrated history of conducting quantitative analyses that have driven valuable results to the business
- Good understanding of BI/Analytics principles and processes