Firefly Learning is an award-winning EdTech company, used by hundreds of leading schools around the world and recognised by Tech Nation’s Future Fifty programme as one of the most exciting growing tech companies in the UK.
We are venture backed, having raised £4.5m in Series A last year and are ambitious about supercharging the school experience for as many students as possible around the world.
We enable teachers, students and parents to learn more together, giving teachers time to focus on what matters most - teaching - and letting students learn in ways that work best for them; all while helping parents to understand much better what’s going on at school and how they can support their child.
About the role
As our first UX Researcher, your role is to develop a deep understanding of and an empathy for the problems that our users face every day in schools. It’s your responsibility to carry out generative research and evaluative user testing that are designed around our product goals and report your findings in a way that’s easy to understand and action.
You’ll be reporting directly to our Head of Design but be working collaboratively across our cross-functional squads. Your day-to-day activities will be directed by our Product Managers who will task you to uncover insights from users and other teams to help direct the roadmap. You’ll also be working closely with our UI Designers to test and iterate solutions that they create.
Our user base is a really interesting mix of students, teachers, parents and school leaders each with their own challenges and ways of working. Our users have a lot of interesting problems and you’ll be working alongside a group of really smart people to help to solve them.
As we grow, you’ll be growing too. With a £1000 a year training budget you’ll be well supported to grow your UX skills. You’ll also be helping to put in place best practice for how we do research and testing at Firefly. It’s an exciting time to join!
- Carrying out generative research in line with our strategy as directed by Product Managers to help identify users needs and product opportunities
- Carrying out evaluative user testing during the design of a feature to help UI Designers and the rest of the squad understand how they can iterate before launch
- Working closely with all squad members (Product Managers, designers, developers, Scrum coaches and QA engineers) to help them to understand our users and their perspectives
- Carrying out user testing, gathering insights from other business areas and using data insights to help shape features after they’re shipped
- Proactively helping others understand the results of your research and their meaning; including the product-engineering group, research subjects and other teams within Firefly
- Helping Product Managers craft user stories that accurately describe the problem we’re trying to solve for our users
- Evangelising research techniques and best practices internally
Skills / requirements
- A portfolio of your work that you’ll be happy to talk thought at interview
- Previous experience in UX Research and user testing for a digital product
- A self starter — as a our first UX Researcher you’ll be the most qualified person in your role. You’ll need to be comfortable offering advice on best practice and being proactive in seeking to fill gaps in your knowledge
- A good understanding of the various techniques used to gather user insight and communicate their meaning, and when best to deploy these
- A good communicator: You’ll be spending lots of time with our schools and chatting with people internally, not to mention giving presentations of your findings.
- Some experience in interpreting data to help guide design and product decisions is a bonus.
- 25 days holiday (plus 3 additional days over Christmas)
- £1000 training budget per year
- Discounted gym
- Childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee option scheme
- Monday lunch and fresh fruit daily