The New Year has begun and of course this means that Bett 2018 will soon be opening its doors to welcome schools from all around the world.
The Bett show is one of the biggest events of its type in the world, and is a fantastic opportunity to see the latest edtech developments, listen to inspirational speakers in the field of education and of course catch up with old friends.
However, the sheer size of Bett can be overwhelming and it is all too easy to leave at the end of the day with no clear sense of how technology can help you take teaching and learning forward at your school.
With this in mind, I have come up with five suggestions to help you get the most out of your visit this year.
- Have a clear idea of what you are looking for. This does not have to be a specific provider or piece of hardware, but an idea of what aspect of teaching and learning you are looking to enhance or support more effectively at your school. Remember, you are looking for technology to help you achieve better outcomes for your students and teachers; a plan of action for your visit will help to ensure that you don’t end up dazzled by the sheer amount of tech on offer.
- Do your homework. There may well be dozens of companies providing a possible solution for you, so try and narrow down the options before you meet them. This will save you time on the day, as well help you to discuss your requirements more effectively once you start talking to them.
- Get a map! Bett is huge and it can be very easy to get lost amongst the myriad of stands - I’ve been coming to Bett for years and still manage to lose my sense of direction every time! Mark on the map those companies you wish to speak to before you arrive, but also make a note of anything that catches your eye as you move about the aisles.
- Take some time to just browse. Simply walking around Bett and seeing what themes appear most frequently can give you a better idea of the direction that edtech is moving in. In turn, this will help you make more informed decisions when you return to school and guide you when planning future projects.
- Don’t forget to visit people you are already working with. Bett is a great opportunity for finding out about the latest new features, and also to get an idea of upcoming developments.
Finally of course, do take some time to come see us at the Firefly stand, your Account Managers will be on the stand every day and will be very happy to chat with you, and see how things are going.
Speaking personally, I really enjoy the opportunity to catch up with schools that I have visited previously, and see what fantastic things they are doing in the classroom.
Hope to see you all at the end of the month!